Tuesday, March 1, 2011

Thrift Store Craft Project

I love going to thrift stores you just never know what you will find.  For this project I used one of my  floral dishes I already found from a second hand store and a candle holder base I found at a local Goodwill.  When my friend Tania and her husband came to visit in January she found this same dish at Two Women & A Warehouse antique store for $1.00 and we decided we were going to make them into matching pedestals.  We were trying to look for matching candle bases so we could do this project together while they were here but we just couldn't find the right candle base to attach to them so we never did do the project together.  

When Tania got home it didn't take her long to find her base and make this project and that is one of the things I admire about her she is not a procrastinator, I on the other hand am and that is one thing I don't like about myself.  When I saw hers it turned out so beautiful and I was determined to get this project done so I was on a mission.  This was such a quick and easy project and I will be making more in the future, all you need is candle holders, dishes, and glue now how easy is that.


This dish is beautiful and I couldn't wait to finish it.  The cream and gold trim with the pink roses are the ones I tend to gravitate to the most they just seem a little more vintage to me.  I have a wooden drying rack that I keep out all the time just for these dishes so that I can admire and use them daily.  I love using them because they are so feminine and pretty and who says you have to use them only on special occasions, everyday is special and a gift from God so I use them often. 


I found this at a local Goodwill store for $.99 and fell in love with it right away!  I just love the detail it has and was the perfect size I was looking for for this project.   I so love the hunt and that is why I get a lot of things at the thrift store, to me this item has been cast aside and unwanted and I have rescued it.  I know that sounds weird but that is how I have always thought. 


So now that I have my dish and candle holder base ready with just alittle 5 min. Epoxy you just glue them together and wait for them to dry.  I know it says 5 min. but I usually wait until the next day to pick it up I would just hate it if it fell apart and broke before I could even use it so I play it safe.


When it is all dry you end up with a beautiful pedestal.


I have placed mine in my craft room on my working table, put ribbon roses, and a pink plastic flower in it for future projects. It is such a wonderful feeling when you complete a project and you can just sit back and enjoy it.  So to my friend Tania, I think of you everyday!!! :)  Blessings to you.

xo
barb 
Friends are like quilts:  Lives pieced together, stiched with memories, and bound by love.
author: Unknown

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I love your base! Cute! Well I gotta tell you, you are too kind I have been taking down wallpaper for a while now and still not done! So not sure if I get it done or not but thanks. My base and plate came apart cuz I bumped it...hard. But that was good cuz I wanted a different base. Will post that soon! Thanks Barb think of you so often also!