Thursday, January 20, 2011

Art Journal Challenge: Cover of Journal & Week One

     I have decided to start a 52 week art journal challenge for this year and am basing it from a challenge done last year by two women on the web and from some of my art books I have bought.   It is 52 art journal pages (one per week) with word prompts as a guide. I am excited for the journey and hope you will enjoy it as well as I will post them when I finish each weeks.  This truly will be a challenge for me since I never seem to finish ideas that have to last a whole year so we will see how I do. 
 As you know I am a vintage nut and enjoy collecting books, especially old ones, to use as my art journals.   I have prepared this old exercise book by gluing three pages together to make it stiff enought to work on. I usually don't finish the front and back covers of the book until later but I decided I needed to do this first, so after a lot of layers this is the result.

Front of Cover
This is the cover of my art journal challenge.   I  collage it with scrapbooking paper then added acrylic paints, colored pencils, stamps, and computer generated title words.  I am pleased with  the outcome and I really love the lady stamp in the corner as I associate her with me, so you will see a lot of her.

WEEK ONE:  USED DRYER SHEET

I had originally started this art journal/old book with another thought in mind  so the ladies picture was already there and it just screamed the journal prompt from the ladies on the web cheese cloth. I didn't have any cheese cloth so the next best thing was a
used dryer sheet and that was a sticky mess but turn out just as I had hoped.  The dryer sheet is wrapped around her face love the texture.

I love a new year and that means a new beginning, fresh start, etc. I will look back on last year only as a road already taken and this year a start of a new one.  May your new beginning be creative and
blessed by God.
xo 
barb


1 comment:

Unknown said...

wonderful and inspiring! I have also been working on journal covers I have three in the making! You make me motivated!