Sunday, March 27, 2011

Sunday Devotional: The Perfect Gentleman

Let the rivers clap their hands, let the mountains sing together for joy.
Psalm 98:8 NASB


Most of us lead nearly frantic lifestyles in this busy world.   We hit the floor running to do all we have to do, to get the kids to school on time, to get ourselves to work, or to make an early appointment.  Hectic mornings turn to days, days turn to weeks, and weeks become months of a life squeezed tight by the busyness we call life.

     The old adage, " The squeaky wheel gets the grease", still speaks volumes to us.  The child that cries the loudest usually gets the first response.  The hottest item on our to-do list takes priority for the day.  With all the voices pulling at us, sometimes God's gentle, grace-filled voice gets lost in the crowd.  Patiently, He waits to be included in our lives.

     When we slow down and take a breath, we can discover the life He created for us to enjoy.  The waves of the ocean laugh all the way to the shore, racing to touch the earth, only to tickle it and run away again.  White, fluffy clouds sway to the whisper of God's song, changing shape and form to the beat of His music.  Even the soil, rich with the goodness of God, compels life and growth in everything it touches.

     It is the simple things like these that help us focus on what matters most-time with the Father.  He is the perfect gentleman, waiting to be acknowledged when we finish our list or decide to get it aside.  Take time to enjoy the simple pleasure of His presence today.

Barb's note:
As I was typing this I was thinking about all the beautiful flowers that are in bloom right now here in the south.  The beautiful pink, & white azaleas, the purple wisteria, and some flowering trees that I am not sure what they are yet.  To take them all in at once is more than words can describe, God really is a wonderful creator of all things, and then to mention the wonderful scent they give off, how wonderful!!! 


 So as I was thinking about taking the time to enjoy God's handiwork, the enemy is always there working to come in and steal the joy and beauty of it by causing all my allergy problems.  Right now I am sneezing like crazy until I want to rip my nose off, rubbing my eyes until they are so red that the eye drops burn like crazy when I put them in, and not to mention the stuffy nose too!!  The pollen is pretty thick right now you can just see the yellow dust sitting on your car!!  Even with all my allergies I will still open the windows in the house just to have the breeze come in and will drive with the windows down too.  I know I am causing more harm than good but I guess I don't want the enemy to steal the small joys that God gives in the Spring.  I will take some allergy pills to easy as much discomfort as it can and still enjoy the beauty around me, then thank God for them and for the beautiful colors around me.


 So if you are a allergy sufferer, go outside and take a picture of that wonderful blooming flower that causes you to sneeze, and bring it inside and put it up on your frig or mirror, so that you can take time to enjoy what God has created without the enemy stealing your joy!   Plus, let it also be a reminder to thank God for the beauty of them and to take some time to spend in His word you won't be disappointed.  May the Lord bless you, may the Lord make his face shine upon you, and give you his peace today.

xo
barb

1 comment:

cindy said...

I can hardly wait for the flowers to grow. We just need to melt all our snow.