Wednesday, May 18, 2011

Large Popcorn Tin Makeover

I am always on the lookout for tins when I am at the thrift stores because I like to store things in them.  I usually go for the floral or just plain fun ones and I had come across two large popcorn tins. I have a purpose for this large tin so I had to get going on the makeover.  I am a lover of old hat boxes but don't love the antique prices so I came up with this idea and just loved how it turned out.  So this is my process of this gem.

You usually find these tins at Christmas and I rarely see this shape at the thrift stores so you know I will be getting a tin this Christmas!  This is what it looks like before I start the transformation.

You need to give it a good sanding before you put on the spray paint.  I didn't use a primer since I already had the pink so I just skipped that step.  I will see if it matters as I use this one and then see if I need to change for the next one.

I used a indoor/outdoor paint in gloss by Krylon and of course in PINK!

As I was covering the base I found out that the pink paint wasn't covering the pattern on the tin but I knew I was going to cover it with wallpaper so it didn't matter.

Now that I am finished with the spray paint it is time for the wallpaper.

I had bought these two papers at the thrift store not knowing what I would use them for but for just $.99 each how could you pass it up.  
I chose the floral for the lid on the outside and traced the lid for the pattern and did some trimming so that it sat in about a 1/4  inch so I could paint on the tin.

Add the modge podge.

I used a brayer to make sure all the air bubbles where out.


I chose the stripe for the inside cover and used the lid to make the pattern and trimmed to make it fit.

I trimmed it as close as I could but it wasn't perfect and that's okay.

I chose the floral for the inside bottom because this was the more durable one and perfect for what I will use this for.  Hmmm what can that be?

Again I used the base of the tin for the pattern but had to trim to fit and then used the modge podge to glue down.  Oh so pretty!!

Next came the outside and this was a little bit of a challenge.  I didn't think ahead that I should have allowed a 1/4 inch from the bottom of the lip so that I could paint on, so I would do that for the ones in the future.  I wrapped the paper around the tin and left about two inches just to make sure and trimmed.  It was so nice that this one was stripped because it made it easy to cut perfectly.

When I was applying the glue I moved quickly so that it wouldn't dry because it was so big.  It was a challenge but I got it and luckily you can move it around a bit once you apply it to make sure everything lines up.

Whew so glad I didn't get glue all over while trying to put it on!  I think it would be easier if you had someone help you on this step.

Mission accomplished!!!   Don't you just love it? 

Now for the painting.  I used a green around the edge of the wallpaper then started adding white dots all the way around the lid.  I am copying the pattern I used for my Valentine heart box project because I love that so much and thought it would look great on this too.

I then did some swirls along the edge of the floral paper.  I decided to use a pink that would stand out but match the spray paint at the same time.

Then I did some white dots around the base too just to give it some detail.

This is the finished lid and I absolutely love it.  When the white dots dried I did a smaller pink dot on top and then used a white gel pen around the pink swirls to make them stand out a bit more.

On the base I also did a small pink dot on top of the white just to give it some detail and I love it.

This is the before and after and who ever said you can't make your own hat box!!!  It turned out just as I had hoped and will be perfect for what I have in store for this.  Watch for a upcoming post on what I use this for I can't wait to show you.  Thanks for stopping by I so enjoy our art classes together.
xo
barb

No comments: