Tuesday, July 12, 2011

Vintage Cookbook Page

I have been watching aaaalot of art videos on utube lately and once I start it is hard to stop!!! So today I decided to take a short break and show you my summer page I have on display in my vintage cookbook.  I really wish I could find another cookbook that is like this one with all the vintage ladies in them but the ones I do find only have the food in them, go figure, it is a cookbook right?  Well this one has ice cream and I thought it was perfect for this time of year.

Old-Fashioned Chocolate Ice Cream

2 tbsp granulated gelatin (unflavored)
1/2 cup cold water
1 cup rich milk
1 1/2 cup (1-lb can) Hershey's Chocolate Flavored Syrup
3/4 cup granulated sugar
few grains salt
1 pint light cream
1 pint heavy cream
2 tbsp vanilla

Allow the gelatin to soak in the water in a saucepan for 5 minutes.  Add the milk and heat, stirring until the gelatin is dissolved.  Remove from heat and add the chocolate syrup, sugar and salt.  Cool.  Add the creams and the vanilla.  Freeze in a crank freezer. 
Yield: 4 quarts ice cream

To Freeze, fill the chilled container 2/3 full with ice cream mixture.  Cover tightly and set into freezer tub.  (For an electric freezer, follow manufacturer's directions.)  Fill tub with alternate 3-inch layers of crushed ice and 1 part rock salt.  Turn the handle slowly for 5 minuets.  Turn rapidly until the handle becomes difficult to turn (about 15 minutes).  Remove the dasher and pack down ice cream and cover with waxed paper.  Again put the lid on top and fill opening for dasher with cork.  Repack freezer in ice using 4 parts crushed ice and 1 part rock salt.  Cover with paper or cloth.  Let ripen 2 to 3 hours.

Wow, sounds like to much work for me but maybe you would like to give it a try.  Stay cool and enjoy a bowl of ice cream.  
xo
barb

No comments: