Monday, February 14, 2011

Valentine Sweets

This is the first year that I have made heart shaped desserts for our valentine dinner and I think it is the beginning of a new tradition.


I started out making brownies with a new heart shaped cupcake pan and a red velvet cake in a heart shaped pan.  I added pecans and raspberry preserves to the brownies and almonds and almond extract to the red velvet cake.  I really enjoyed placing them on their pretty plates and putting a layer of powdered sugar to dress them up then putting them on the table. 


I kept the table pretty plain this year since a lot of my pretty things are still packed away until we get our kitchen done.  The theme was clear glass with a touch of color in the center of the table from my heart shaped basket with rose petals in it,  a porcelain figurine of a girl giving the boy a kiss, and three silk roses that my husband bought me this year. I hope you enjoy the process as much at I did.


Remember this rose plate from my post on my decor here is a closer look at it cleaned up and ready for the brownies.

I put the raspberry preserves just on top.

I was so glad that the cake came out as nice as it did but next time I think I would add more extract and maybe some dried cranberries since I didn't use a frosting.

The reason for the figurine is because I remember the first time I tried to kiss my husband when we just started dating and this shows the girl kissing the boy which tells it all.

We were ice skating on Hiawatha Creek in Minnesota and we were under a bridge one night when I kinda tried to kiss him, well you know he got nervous and skated away!   Wwe were only 13 and 14 years old and really never kissed anyone let alone someone you liked so I could see why he skated away but I really wanted to kiss him.  Well, since we have been together for 33yrs I can tell you we did kiss later after we practiced some sitting on the floor in my moms kitchen.  How funny to think that I was teaching him like I new but I guess it worked.

The table looked so pretty with all its clear glass a pretty desserts.
I loved the cards we both picked out because of the overall beauty of them together and all the red glitter which your really can't see in the picture.  Hope you all had a wonderful Valentines Day.
xo
  barb

I fell in love with you the second I laid eyes on you, it had nothing to do with the way you looked, there was something in your eyes, then I found out what was in your heart.
author: Unknown