Thursday, July 14, 2011

Cherished Memory


Its a little girl who was excited to know that it was that time of the year.  The time for a two week adventure full of love, laughter, and the unknown.  The drive is long but the excitement builds with every mile getting closer.  The night sky is full of stars and the fresh air smell that is always remembered with this trip.  We pass a landmark, which is a large fish, and she knows its not long before she is there.  The place that holds so many wonderful memories and places she can't wait to investigate again.

She spots the little gas station on her right and her excitement builds because she knows there is only 4 miles left to get to the turn that leads to the house.  We stop to make the turn and she sees the house in the distance.  We pass a house on the left where a girl lives with the exact birthday as hers.  Then a right hand turn past the large mail box and an old rusty truck sitting in the field just behind it.  We pull up to the driveway the door opens and we are finally here!!!  The first thing she notices is the smell of the garage which is wonderful because it reminds her of this wonderful place.

We bring our things in and I look around just to take it all in.  Everything is exactly as it was since the last time she was here and that makes her happy, something that doesn't change.  She sleeps upstairs with her siblings but there is one thing that she absolutely loves to look at and has to check it all out every time.

She runs her fingers across the detail of the drawers and opens them up...

such beauty.....

all the fancy ironwork......

and of course the pedal that she has to try every time....

its an old Singer sewing machine that is her grandma's.  This machine holds memories of her and the farm which she lives on, and yes the story is about me and our two week vacations to Warroad, MN we took every year until I was 16yrs old. 

And that is what went through my head as I spotted this machine at the thrift store!! I walked so fast to it but it didn't have a price on it so I asked how much was it.  I guess they had just put it on the floor so it hadn't been priced yet.  I ask for a price and hoped it wasn't more than $20.00 since that is all I had to spend. 

I looked it over and there wasn't a sewing machine in it and there was a hole cut into the top to hold a machine without lifting the cover but luckly there was a thin piece of wood painted to match to cover the hole.  As I waited, I hoped and then the man came back and said it was $20.00!!!  I said I WILL TAKE IT!!!  I was sooooooooo excited!!  I didn't care that the machine wasn't in there or that someone cut a hole in the top because every time I look at it it reminds me of my grandma.  How wonderful!!!

It fit perfect in the trunk and no there wasn't anyone to help me get this heavy thing into the house but did that stop me no!!  I did it and it was tricky and heavy but I was on a mission and knew just where I was going to put it.

In my studio in front of a window facing the street.  This is the back of it and it fit perfectly.

The funny thing about this is that it is painted ivory so shabby chic and that was another thing I loved about it, so me.  I would have never been able to paint such an antique so how cool that someone else did it for me.  You just wonder what was going through their mind as they painted it and making their own style not knowing that I would cherish it as well.  Well, this is my latest find and I thanked God for having it be within my budget!!! 

So now when I sit at my table to make art all I have to do is look up and I see this sewing machine and it makes me smile.  I hope you all are having a wonderful summer full of family, friends, and laughter and thanks for stopping by you know I just love our visits.

xo
barb

No comments: